Monday, June 14, 2010

Sittin' pretty

Finally, at 11:29pm I'm sitting down to "relax". Is relaxation even something we moms are able to do? I'm watching a Young & the Restless episode on DVR and trying to think what else I can do to tweak my latest English Chinese Curry recipe attempt. This one was pretty good, but definitely needs room for improvement, as with anything. You really have no idea how difficult it is to get an English style recipe for food that's not English if you get what I'm saying. We haven't been to London in about 4 years and that's the longest we've gone so naturally my husband starts missing his comfort foods. I naturally want to make him comfortable so in I go giving it the old college try.

He was gracious in his review and gave me some great constructive criticism which I already knew about the recipe but needed confirmation in his critique. I didn't have the luxury of curry paste so I had to make my own. I had a bit of coconut milk, curry powder, ground tumeric, ground cardamom seeds and a bit of cinnamon. Next time I will definitely add some honey for the sweetness and I did add some flour to thicken up the sauce. I didn't cook any veggies with this, well other than the peas that were in the recipe, but I will definitely cook some veggies. Birdseye Asian Medley is delicious and would go great with it.

I think I could probably eat Asian or Indian food every night of the week so finding new recipes is a must!

Tomorrow is my final day in the Amish friendship starter bag so I can make some yummy Amish bread. I have to say I'm really taking to cooking, especially from scratch. I don't see the need to buy anything prepackaged because it's a waste of money and definitely doesn't taste as good. In fact, a lot of the time it tastes like what it is...processed.

Speaking of bread, I'm having difficulties with my Amish white bread splitting. I found an awesome website with some great tips and I can't wait to try them. I think I'll probably be cooking a lot tomorrow...again.

As for dinner, I have no idea what will be on the agenda tomorrow. Since I plan on baking a lot, I may as well do a meat loaf, something easy. A dear friend of mine came over for dinner Saturday night and brought some mini meatloaves made with milk, egg, and stove top stuffing in 2lbs of ground beef. It was some of the yummiest meatloaf I've ever had. I usually make an Italian meatloaf but for a more traditional meatloaf, this hit the spot. I made this with a corn/cream cheese concoction (again, another friend recipe). It was a quick, easy, yet yummy dinner so I think that's what will be on tomorrows agenda.


No comments:

Post a Comment