Friday, June 18, 2010

In my kitchen...


I was thinking today how my best investment ever has been my Sunbeam bread machine. I got it about two years ago from amazon.com for $35 and it has saved hundreds of dollars! Now it's double that price, but to be honest, I'd still pay it. I make bread, yeast rolls, cinnamon rolls, and have even made jam. Honestly the jam was a bit of a waste because it didn't make that much and we go through jam like crazy in our household. Anyway, yesterday was a full day of cooking and baking.

First off, I made some chili soup, which is yummy and full of fiber. I didn't have macaroni noodles but did have fideos so that's what I used and it worked just fine! I did also add some cayenne pepper to give it a bit of a kick. I've decided that weekly, I'm going to make a big container of soup to eat for lunch. Lunch has always been my downfall. I'm generally good during breakfast and mostly during dinner, but lunch has always been difficult. I sometimes wait too late to eat therefor when I finally get a chance to eat, I scarf down whatever I can and it's not good so I'm determined to eat some healthy soups. Of course healthy is the key here. There are tons of soups out there that are the equivalent of eating a cheeseburger with fries so I'm sure to look for good soups.

Then I made some buttery yeast rolls BUT...made them for cinnamon rolls. Now I know that's not healthy but I wanted to try them and wanted to make some for my husband to take to work. They turned out pretty good for my first time I must say but after putting the mixture of butter, sugar and cinnamon was very dirty. The yeast rolls are very fluffy and are meant to roll into balls to rise again, but I tried to roll them out which was okay but after rolling them up and then cutting them, my counter, knife, and myself were terribly dirty. That being said, they turned out to be pretty good for my first time.

After that I finally made my meatloaf. This was recommended by a friend and they turned out yummy! I did what my friend Dori suggested and invested in a good muffin pan. Wilton I believe and I'm really glad that I did. I had about two pounds of ground beef, a box of Stove Top Stuffing (chicken flavor), and egg and about 3/4 cup of milk. I mix it all up and made it into little balls then patted them down into my muffin pans. I had too much meat mixture to fit into the twelve slots so I got my little muffin pan that has six and three fit in there. I was going to make creamed spinach to go along with it but was too tired and time was not on my side so I just made green beans and mashed potatoes. Obviously we had too a lot of leftovers so today, I'm going to make homemade hamburger buns and use those little mini meatloaves and make sliders with french fries.


No comments:

Post a Comment