Sunday, June 20, 2010

Fathers day

I know this is a bit late in the day, but we still have 22 minutes of Fathers Day so I wanted to say "HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!" to all of our dads. I have to say I have been fortunate enough to have a wonderful father in my life. I feel sorry for so many who have not grown up with their fathers or those who's fathers chose to stay out of their lives. My dad was such an intricate part of my upbringing and someone who I have much respect for. He's our rock in our family and one that we go to for advice on BBQing, finances, and our how to guy. Much love to my papa!

Simon is extremely fortunate to have a wonderful father in his life too! My dear husband is an incredible father. Simon waits until his dad gets home from work everyday and most of the time at around 5 o'clock, I have a very happy little boy. I truly thank God for Darren being a wonderful father who loves nothing more than being with his boy and will do whatever he needs to do to make sure that we want for nothing.

As for food...almost nothing was cooked tonight. At daddy's request, I made beans on toast with an egg on top. I didn't get a picture of it because my stomach was giving me needless problems so I wanted to just go lay down. Of course dad and son ate it all up which is always nice! It's a traditional English meal that you can eat at any time of the day. It's basically toast, with baked beans (or pork & beans in tomato sauce here in the US) poured on top of the buttered toast, with an egg on top of the beans. I know it sounds weird, gross, or strange, but I assure you, once you try it, you'll like it!

As for last night, I had a request from Simon for some fried rice. I think he was thinking of the curry fried rice I make, but I made him "traditional" fried rice. I can tell you this was NOT good at all. I made it as said, but I did add some peas and carrots and this just tasted too salty and way too much sesame oil. I didn't like it one bit and neither did Simon, although daddy ate it up.

Luckily we had some yummy baked sweet & sour chicken. I have made this recipe a few times and will continue to do so because it's delicious! I did not line my pan with foil, simply because I didn't have any and to be honest, it worked out for the best. Occasionally my chicken would stick to the foil but the one time I didn't use foil and just sprayed the pyrex generously with PAM, it didn't stick. Now bear in mind this DOES make quite a bit. Enough to have at least two full meals (by full meals, enough to feed a family of four). I like to make that amount that way we can have leftovers for lunch or to use it for another dinner.




No comments:

Post a Comment